Published on Friday, January 25, 2013 12:28
Written by SmartyPants TravelingMom
Getting sick on vacation stinks. There is nothing good about it. There are lots of ways to best prepare for a vacation
. One of most important steps is to pack the right medical items.
When packing for your next trip be sure to prepare for the worst, ok maybe not the very worst, but be prepared! A good friend who is very well-traveled and a mom of 2, shared that when traveling, especially aboard a cruise or destination outside the USA, pack as if your kids are going to get diarrhea, a bizarre allergic reaction, headache and a nasty blister. For that matter, expect the same to happen to you and your spouse. When abroad, the medical needs we are accustomed to at our local chain pharmacy aren’t always available. You want to be prepared to give the dosage of the medicine you know immediately - not try to figure out what’s what.
Here are 5 items I ALWAYS have on hand - even with basic weekend road trips:
- Ibuprofen - We buy the enormous value pack, but I only bring about a dozen or two for me & my spouse, plus the children's version!
- Antibacterial Ointment - A dab or two on a small would can do wonders!
- Allergy medicine - You never know who will touch what or swallow what! Plus, many moms love its effect to get restless kids to sleep on planes!
- Band-aids - Cuts, blisters and more need band-aids!
- Antibacterial Gel - It doesn’t cure a cold but can sure help you not get one!
- Thermometer - Can't always rely on the back of your hand or a kiss on the forehead. Stash one of these in your bag!
- Plastic Bags - Fill them with ice or warm water to give your body the compress it needs. (I recommend double bagging - you don’t want a wet mess!)
Your body doesn’t care that you are on vacation when it hits you with the flu, allergies, a nasty cold, strep throat or ear infection. The dreadful occurance of a kid getting sick is even worse. Be sure to read our tips on dealing with a sick toddler on vacation
! Bon voyage on your next trip and be sure to be prepared!