Published on Saturday, September 08, 2012 12:48
Written by Working TravelingMom
Combine the natural beauty of Oregon with free family-friendly events for a fun fall weekend. These events take place in Hood River in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge less than an hour from Portland
. 30th Annual Hood River Harvest Fest
Taking place Oct. 19-21, this old-fashioned, family friendly harvest festival features local produce and food products, arts and crafts, and wine and beer-tastings. Don't miss:
- Produce Row, where you’ll find for purchase Anjou pears, heirloom apples, pumpkins, berries, roasted nuts, and flowers.
- A smorgasbord of freshly prepared foods including homemade pies, artisan jams, fresh breads, smoked salmon, chocolate-covered nuts, and more.
- On Saturday, watch a giant pumpkin carver transform an 800-lb pumpkin into an artful masterpiece.
- Over 100 art vendors from around the Northwest, specializing in glass, wood sculpture, ceramics, photography, fiber art, jewelry, and more.
- The Kids Zone with pumpkin and face painting, a petting zoo, and other child friendly activities.
- An outdoor food court with local and traditional favorites.
- Columbia Gorge wines and craft beers
- Plenty of live music in our waterfront entertainment tent.
- Free parking
The weekend festival is held on the Hood River waterfront overlooking the Columbia River, where visitors can relax and watch windsurfers and kiteboarders play on the water. The event is free for children under 12; adult admission is $6. Pumpkin Funland
From Oct. 1 through Nov. 11, see a unique world created with pumpkins, gourds, squash, and items conjured up by our staff. The Rasmussen farm is host to a unique world of characters crafted with creativity and humor from pumpkins, vegetables, squash, gourds and other items from the farm and greenhouse.
Walk through Corn Maze in the corn field, go pumpkin bowling, and selectpumpkins, fall decorations, and fall vegetables and fruits. Sunset Magazine
called Pumpkin Funland as a "must see" for fall, and Pumpkin Funland
was nationally rated as one of the 11 best places in the U.S. for Halloweenby nickjr.com.